Sunday, October 02, 2005

At the risk of sounding fanatical

If I didn't make this post, I wouldn't be true to myself.

This morning I attended part of a 24-hr prayer session at my church. It began Friday at 6 pm. The Sabbath School department was responsible for leading out from 6 am to 10 am Saturday morning. Trying to be responsible (since I had to ask all of my secretaries to also be there at various times during our segment) I got there just in time. It was only a few of us at first. There were some sincere prayers and testimonies and as others showed up they joined in. One particular lady came and changed my morning.

I never attend these sessions expecting anything. As a matter of fact, I've only been to one other event similar to this one - it was a sunset to midnight prayer session some years ago. I remember leaving the church with such a feeling of peace and harmony. I can't even begin to explain. The following Sabbath morning service was unlike any I had ever had before or since. But still, I went this morning expecting to fulfill my duty and go home and take a nap. We have regular prayer meetings every Wednesday night, but it's not the same. It feels too routine, too...forced.

As we stood there one lady came and poured out her heart about the burden she felt for her children. She was so sincere. Her three oldest children (of five), when they were home in Jamaica, were in the church. But in seeking a better life for her family she brought them all here and I feel she almost regrets it. Sometimes she doesn't know where they are for days at a time. I couldn't imagine her pain and guilt. As a visiting brother prayed for her children by name I couldn't have spoken even if I wanted to. All I could was think of Sidney, and all the other children, and all the broken-hearted parents.

Other prayers went up for various things like healing and thanks and forgiveness. This last one again made me realize how far short I fall from being the person I should be.

By 8:30 am I left to come home and get the rest of my family. I didn't really want to leave. The closeness and the fellowship and the open hearts were healing to the spirit. I wish we had more prayer sessions like this. Not necessarily 24 hours, and not necessarily set up for a specific time each week or month, but as the Holy Spirit prompts.

This one thing I can say for certain, I would rather live my life as a God-fearing Christian and die wrong, than to live my life to please myself not believing in God and be wrong.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you don't sound fanatical. just honest.

Anonymous said...

There is nothing fanatical about what you said. I enjoyed reading the post, but the title troubled me a little. It was almost apologetic (I know I'm gonna get it when you get into work). There are times when God allows (coerces?) us to self-reflect by bringing people into our lives with a message. I believe that this was one of those times.

The Gig said...

This is a beautiful post. We had a week of prayer at our church a couple of weeks ago. I wish more people would show up at these sessions and prayer meeting too. I don't think what you said was fanatical. Wish I had been there.