Wednesday, July 19, 2006

M-eril Ain't Got Nothin' On Me!

I told you I would keep you updated as to my cooking endeavours. Last night I attempted chicken pot pie and profiteroles for dessert. The recipe said it would yield six servings so I halved the ingredients but still ended up with two 9" pies. I even improvised a bit. My main issue at the end was that I didn't halve the bay leaf so it was a bit overpowering, just a bit. You should have seen me though, poaching chicken and mixing veggies, stirring chocolate sauce and squeezing dough.


The first picture is deceptive because I didn't make the pie crust, I bought it - but that's what the recipe said to do!


This second picture, as if you couldn't tell, shows the inside stuff, which is what I did make...from scratch.


Here's my baby eating away indiscriminately. He would have told me if it wasn't good but he ate the whole thing. Yes, he eats everything except peanut butter, so he's easy to cook for.


Last Sunday I watched Barefoot Contessa on the Food Network and her pastries looked so good and easy to make I had to try them. Granted, I read the recipe incorrectly and set the oven temp at 475 instead of 425 so they came out a leetle bit overbrown. But they didn't taste burned. Hubby asked for seconds so they couldn't have been that bad.

SP and BDaB, you would have been SO proud of me!




Mama Update: My mom's is alright. She survived the night without having to call me. Her biggest upset is that her $300 PDA is gone and she doesn't want to spend another $300 to replace it. BDaB, as you mentioned in your comment, I too envisioned my pregnant self breaking the glass hurting that boy! I don't care if he wants to be lazy, but how dare he infringe on another who worked so hard to get where she's at. (My feelings for squatters are just as strong.) After she banged on his window and he started to drive off she ran back to her truck to grab her cell phone thinking she'd have enough time to take a picture, but you know how that goes. She would have been better off trying to memorize the make/model/license number. The gas station had at least one camera which of course didn't capture anything cause it was pointed in the wrong direction.

10 comments:

SP said...

Awwww!! I AM so proud of you! Did you save me some?

chele said...

Look at you being all domestic and stuff! My son used to everything I cooked too. Now he eats on the run. One day he'll miss my home cooking!

Shawn said...

Looks like you did a fine job. I guess you were pulling our leg when you said you couldn't cook. Faker!

The Gig said...

Wow, look at you "Mz. Domestic." Looks good to me but I'm glad it's too far away for me to "pig out" on because I would if your pastries were here. *grin*

Unknown said...

You go you big chef you! Those pics are making my mouth water! Looks like food you se on TV.

Mocha said...

Mmmmm...those pics look delicious.

Glad to hear your mother is okay!

Miz JJ said...

Wow you weren't joking when you said you were going to learn how to throw it down in the kitchen.

Brotha Buck said...

That last thing, pastry looks delicious! Glad the mom is alright. My blood still burns at the thought of someone hurting a motherly type.

Remnants of U said...

I really like Barefoot Contessa, but I haven't tried any of her recipes. I am impressed that you stepped out there with her recipe. Both dishes looked very good. Of course the pic with your little one eating is the best.

I am glad to hear that your Mom is ok.

Leepak Hope-ra said...

I love love love The Food Network! I'm an apiring cook (Aspiring not to burn everything I attempt!), but bravo! Your little one seems to adore it!